Sunday 26 January 2014

Why not start this blog at the beginning of January, as a New Year Resolution?

In 45 years I think it is safe to say that I have failed to keep rather more New Year resolutions than I have kept. It’s not a 100% failure rate, but it’s enough to draw a lesson from: namely that my mind just doesn’t work that way. Drawing a line and saying “henceforth I will do x, y or z” is just setting myself up to fail my own expectations. Which isn’t a good thing.
Far better to establish a goal and resolve to work towards it. To evolve my life in the desired direction rather than making overly-ambitious resolutions of the ‘this starts now’ sort. I must also realise that my health makes some things harder than they would be otherwise - I need to continue to make emotional and intellectual allowances for the difficulties my body and mind encounter in life. For instance, it’s no good saying “I will go for a walk every day” - because the law of averages suggests that I will fail that one within the week, simply because it’s not something I’m physically capable of some days, while other days it is mentally challenging. The later is something I am working on, the former just has to be accepted as things stand, with the hope that things may improve, or at the very least, not get worse :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment